Saturday, June 28, 2008
Neighbors of all kinds
So, as I packed my vehicle for my trip to Convergence I had an opportunity to chat with my neighbor. We did that neighbor thing, me letting her know I was going to be gone for a few days, her letting me know that there is an alligator in the lake we both live on.

Let me repeat that.....there's an alligator in my backyard. Still havent seen it, though it explains the big splash I saw by the edge of the lake before I left town.

This is a month after finding out that there is a beaver living on that lake. Haven't seen it either. Though I came home to find evidence of its existence.

IMG_0158

That would be a sweetgum tree in the backyard. The chicken wire is courtesy of my neighbor, their porch overlooks this particular tree and they noticed the damage this morning over coffee. Not being sure when I was coming back, they were kind enough to go get this and to try to fence off my tree in case the beastie comes back tonight to finish its work. I have really lucked out in the neighbors department, this family is so sweet and has been great to know.

Apparently sweetgums are a delacacy for beavers....and "our" beaver had already taken out another one of these on the other side of the lake. The tree is about 12 inches in diameter, and that little section of bark on the right is pretty much the only bark left at that level. Good thing I'm off next week, I have to make an appointment with my tree guy to see how much the tree will be hurt by this.

Ah, the joys of homeownership!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG