Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Miss you Nana
It has just been a whirlwind of a week. My grandmother passed away on May 1, two months shy of her 92nd birthday. I'm currently torn between the emotions of glad she is no longer having to live with the pain that she faced everyday and the devestating loss of a woman that was with me for almost every birthday and christmas that I have had. I've had small moments of tremendous despair, moments where I reflect and the tears just stream down my face (like now), and moments where I am ok.
meandnana
This is one of my favorite pictures of the two of us. I'm only two, but I think you can see how truly special my Nana was to me even then. Yes, I was spoiled. But not the bad kind of spoiled. She was a very good grandmother to me and I think I was a good granddaughter. There are lots of wonderful memories that I will treasure.

She was never much for needlework, loving books far more - sometimes reading the same book over and over. I think she did a cross stitch tablecloth that she gave me, but my mom doesn't think she did it. Her mother did a lot of needlework - mainly crochet and quilting.

Her reading had started to decline recently as her eyesight was getting worse. Last month, my mother and I were shocked when she announced that she had taken a quilting class and she needed some stitching supplies.

She frequently reminded me that she wasn't going to live forever. Though I would have liked a little more time. These next few months will be difficult (particulary this weekend), but friends tell me that things will get less difficult over time. So I keep busy, working, hanging out with friends, and buying a "little bit" of yarn. More on that later....now, I need to start working on improving my health as I fear that my grandmother's issues might be my own one day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG