Saturday, August 30, 2008
While I was out....
A Hurricane came to town last weekend.

My mom and I were taking a quick trip to Tennessee to see family last weekend, so "no problem, put away the potential projectiles in the yard and let's go!" OK, the monster felines were a little less thrilled to go and hang out with my dad, to the degree that one hid for an hour! But the cats were captured and delivered and the first raindrops fell as we finished loading up the vehicle.

Saturday we visited with family and then went in search of stitchery and yarn shops. At the second shop, my cell rang, but I was distracted by yarn so I ignored it. Walking to the car, I checked the phone and it was my neighbor telling me that our neighborhood had gotten a ridiculous amount of rain and the lake had overflowed. So I pretty much speed to the hotel to turn on the weather channel and there are reports of them evacuating a neighborhood in my town!! One good friend volunteered to go check out my house and this is one of the pics she sent me from my neighbor's driveway at about 8 pm Saturday night:

2

The rain had pretty much stopped, but more was expected that evening, in total I think we got about 20 inches over 2 days. So I tried to be calm about it, that's what insurance is for right? It wasn't like I had left the animals there. It's just stuff. But it was all I could think about. The fact that my mother kept staring at me trying to figure out if I was ok, didn't help much either.

So in the morning, we dispatched my dad over there to turn off the AC (assuming the power had been restored) and check for water. He reported no water and the AC looked fine, the water had receded but there was a fair amount of lake garbage around it. My friend also popped over to the house and sent me this picture:

morning

Much better!!

When we got home, most of the overflow had drained off. The yard around the sides of my house have an inch or two of lake "muck" (for lack of a better term) and miscellaneous trash that washed up. About half of the backyard was still squishy and the inlet (that my neighbor mowed last Thursday!) was very full:

IMG_0204

Over the last few days, I picked up some branches until my back gave out and my mom loaned me her yardman to do cleanup on the side yards. Today, my yard-mowing crew showed up today to edge and mow. So, if you ignore the overfull inlet and the very edge of the yard that could not be mowed or weed-whacked, my yard looks wonderful!!! (and very, very green!)

Knitting content tomorrow!


2 Comments:

Holy cow! Hopefully we don't get much rain for a little bit! You might end up with an "inlet" into your house!! Glad all is safe and dry!

Blogger Gerwerken said...

Wow! Hopefully Gustav won't bring us too much rain, or you'll be underwater.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG