Wednesday, December 03, 2008
Giving Thanks
I have always considered myself lucky that several members of my family live locally. For the most part, Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been a short drive across town - hosted by my grandparents and my parents respectively.

When my grandfather's health began failing, Thanksgiving became just too much for my grandmother. So my mom was good enough to pick it up, which me doing half of the cooking. After my mother's brother died, we began celebrating thanksgiving with her mother up in Tennessee until she moved down here.

Eventually, Thanksgiving became "my holiday" and I somehow managed to cook, but host it at my parents' home (did I mention how great my parents are?). The fact that my work goes a little crazy this time of year made my parents take pity on me.

So two years ago, my mom encountered this beautiful tablecloth and decided to lead a similar craft project with some of her friends. I asked her about the possibility of us doing a tablecloth for me. Essentially a grapevine runs around each side of the table cloth with beaded fruit and flowers. So that meant, I had lots of beaded grapes to do:

IMG_0266

My mom was the real champion of this effort and together, we did this:

Thanksgiving Tablecloth

Thanksgiving Tablecloth2

It truly set the mood for a most wonderful holiday. After lots of frantic cleaning, rearranging, and accepting that the entire house would not be ready for "viewing", I managed to pull together a great meal for my family. I even had an assistant when I pulled out the turkeys that morning:

Thanksgiving Assistant

After lunch we spent the rest of the afternoon on the deck watching the wildlife and catching up. I am truly blessed to have a loving and supportive family.


1 Comments:

Wow! The table is gorgeous!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG