Monday, January 14, 2008
on letting go (and buying)
I need to issue a challenge to myself to try and blog at least every four days. Otherwise the only writing I do is for work!

At the end of December, my wish for change and simplification began to take shape. After my unsuccessful attempt at a garage sale in November, boxes of stuff were just stacked up in the living room and proceeded to suck the life out of me. My couch began to act as if there were some serious structural issues. So, off I went to a furniture store that is closing in town and proceed to find not only a new couch, but nice leather recliners to match. Next I loaded up all the garage sale boxes into the camaro and dropped them off at goodwill, then arranged for the mover that delivered my new furniture to move my piano and take my couch away as well. So I now have this open living room, complete with overstuffed chair in the corner for me to curl up at the window or for the cats to sleep on (since the leather chairs are off limits). Here's the new couch with my chief inspectors.

couch

I still have a ton of furniture, but the space works better. I got to repurpose my grandmother's cedar chest as a coffee table and found small side tables at a Bombay store on my new year's getaway.

So, the list of furniture I need to get rid of is a square coffee table, two small dressers (as soon as I can find a new cabinet to hold the stuff that is in one), a sofa table, and a queen sized waterbed frame (mattress too, but I can't verify the state of it!). Whew! Hopefully soon I can figure out where to distribute all of this stuff. Most of it is in the garage right now. Thank goodness. I also think I want to part with my childhood furniture that I have planned to use in my studio. Its lovely stuff and I had hoped to use it for my future child. But I'm really not sure if I will ever have children at this point.

I'm hoping to finish reorganizing by the end of February. Start seriously floor shopping with installation by the end of May. Not sure how long this goal will stay, but I am optimistic with this sudden readiness to part with things.

But enough about my ramblings on my disorganization!

I've finished the first repeat of chart one for the icarus shawl.

icarus-progress-1-13

I've also started winding a warp - am still deciding how wide I want it to be, thinking scarf with some sari silk or other fancy yarn or a table runner. And I'm almost done with a stitchery project. So yay me!


2 Comments:

Good luck with all your home renovations! It will so be worth it when it's all done (even if it is frustrating at times).

I'm so jealous that you're already done with chart one! I'm halfway there and hope to be done by Friday. (Barring me messing up again). :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting rid of things that are bringing you stress. It sounds like the changes you've made are already making you feel better.

When I moved out of NYC back to California, I found a charity that set up homeless families in apartments and I donated all my furniture and kitchen stuff to them. I didn't want to move it and they could certainly use it. Perhaps you could find another good organization in your area.

Good luck!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG