Monday, March 03, 2008
Wishin' and Hopin'
(ok, I'm pushing it here).

My "big cat" would like you all to know that obviously he is wasting away and would gratefully accept any and all gift cans of tuna (dolphin safe albacore if you got it). At the last vet visit the vet told me (with a straight face no less!) that my 20 lb cat needed to have his food intake cut in half or he would be encountering health issues soon. That plan lasted less than a month, ending in a stare down that left me with the distinct impression that nothing else in the house would be safe (including the fish, and my sanity). So I caved. And just "forgot" to give him treats. Now he is acting like I haven't fed him and even went so far to pull the can out of the garbage to get any remnants.

It also appears that it is goose mating season again. And "my" pair from last year appear to be back and in nest making mode. (insert sigh here) I had meant to check the back yard this weekend to try to deter them, but I found out tonight that I was too late. Sorry for the blurry pic, but there is one egg in there.

Nest Watch 2008

The happy couple were out swimming on the lake and did not freak out at my checking out their nest (or my sneaker messing with the cover). While I'm not thrilled at my new "guard geese", I am hopeful that this egg (and any others) don't end up like their young from last year. Don't get me wrong, while I didn't know what I was in for by moving to a lake, I have accepted these crazy beasts and the "presents" they leave in my back yard and my driveway. And they are pretty to watch. But last year got a little out of hand because one of my neighbors decided to feed them. From his driveway. Up the street from me. So I had little "presents" from 2 dozen geese all over my driveway on a daily basis as they went up the road twice a day. Feedback from rescue groups and my personal pleas meant nothing (or me laying on the horn everytime I had to navigate around them). Miraculously, only one casualty that I am aware of, when the birdbrains decided to run down the road and take off to fly over the house. One miscalculated and hit the power line. Yep, he landed in my driveway.

Ok, enough commentary on geese.
I've got more stories and pictures than I will admit to! ;)

And that pretty much catches me up! Hopefully more posting tomorrow!


1 Comments:

Wow! Geese casualties. How I wish my house was so exciting! :)

PS - I'm coming to steal some of your fiber that you got at spin-in. Be wary! :D

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG